Summer Farm Intern Program
We are no longer accepting farm intern applications for 2020.
Our summer farm internship program is designed for college students/graduates who are interested in sustainable agriculture. We’ve had interns from a variety of college majors including geology, environmental science, culinary arts, horticulture and related fields and some of our interns have been musicians, writers, artists - the commonality is a commitment to learning how to produce fresh local, organically grown food and healthy living.
Pennypack Farm & Education Center is a non-profit, 360+ member CSA operating in the suburbs of Philadelphia in Horsham, PA. We are seeking farming interns for the 2019 Summer season. Our farm internship program is designed for people interested in gaining experience working on a medium scale organic farm. During the 12-week summer farm internship, interns will be engaged in farming tasks including planting, harvesting, weeding, trellising, and irrigation. Candidates must be comfortable working on their feet doing physical work for long periods of time. We do not require interns to have any previous experience; as an education center we are excited to share our knowledge about farming and provide our interns with a fulfilling experience that will be useful to them regardless of future career path.
In this internship, we anticipate our interns will come to appreciate:
- the work involved in producing sustainable local food
- how sustainable agricultural practices support environmentally sound land stewardship
- the importance of farm-based education
- the social/community-building value of CSA farming
Basic understandings of our internship:
- interns should have housing in our area and reliable transportation to and from the farm;
- hours will vary...most days begin at 7am
- interns are expected to work 40 hours a week for 12 weeks; start/end date depends on individual schedule, usually mid-May to late-August
- internship receives a stipend of $2,000 for the summer
- interns are responsible for providing current and satisfactory child abuse and criminal background reports
- interns must be physically able to lift 30 pounds, walk and bend over for extended periods of time, and able to work under adverse conditions such as rain, heat, humidity and cold.
Please send an email of interest and a copy of your resume along with a cover letter answering the following questions to Kirstie Jones at email@example.com. Please title the document with your first and last name, including mailing address and the following information:
1. Why has sustainable agriculture piqued your interest? Why do you want to spend a summer farming?
2. What attracted you to Pennypack Farm’s internship?
3. Tell us about any relevant experience.
4. Anything more we should know about you?